Complete applications must include the following, uploaded to your online application:
(Please DO NOT send hardcopies. All documents must be uploaded into the online application)
- Transcript(s) from every institution you have previously attended. Current University at Buffalo undergraduate students need not send UB transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation: Please identify in your application the names of persons who will be writing recommendations. You are strongly encouraged to arrange for at least one from a person who knows your academic work. The individuals will receive an automated email message requesting a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Resume that outlines your work and educational background and experiences.
- Personal statement, 500 words or less, of your current position on the discipline of architecture. Please be specific about influential courses, instructors, books, personal or professional experiences, and goals.
- GRE scores are not required for graduate architecture applications. For those applicants wish to submit a GRE score the department encourages them to do so, and the score will be reviewed alongside other application materials.
Portfolio of creative work (50 MB upload limit): A portfolio of creative work should demonstrate a student’s interest, aptitude and talent for design. (Please see our Portfolio Standards for detailed information.) For students applying to the MArch-2 Year program (with a background in architecture) it should include drawings, models and renderings of projects completed academically and/or professionally. For students applying to the MArch-3.5 Year program (without a background in architecture) the portfolio can consist of examples of creative writing, freehand drawing, sculpture, painting, photography, furniture, ceramics, graphics, set design and architectural design. These can be professional, academic or self-initiated projects. Submission should be in the form of a single pdf file no larger than 50 MB.
Go to the University at Buffalo Graduate Admissions web site link below for the program that you are interested in applying to: