University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

The Life of a Building

Hayes Hall Through the Years

Learn more about key events over the course of Hayes Hall's nearly 150-year history, from the addition of its iconic clock tower in 1928 to student protests during the 1960s.

Center core of what is now Hayes Hall built as the Insane Department of the Erie County Almshouse.   1874      
South Wing constructed. 1877      
North Wing constructed. 1879      
Building converted to 400-bed Erie County Hospital. 1893      
Almshouse site acquired by the University of Buffalo. 1909      
General Edmund Hayes bequests $389,000 to the university. 1916      
Renovations convert building to academic use. 1927     1927-1977 Hayes Hall housed Administrative Offices of the University, The School of Business Administration and The College of Arts and Sciences.
Hayes Hall is dedicated. 1928 FEB 22nd
Clock Tower and Westminster Chimes are installed. The tower houses four bells, ranging in weight from 400 to 1,800 pounds. 1928 JULY
Hayes Hall is the focus of student protests in the late 1960s. Militants occupied the building for two days in 1969. A group of faculty members, arrested for trespassing when they refused to leave the building, were dubbed the Hayes Hall 45. 1960s  
Hayes Hall Complex, including Wende, Beck and Townsend Halls, is designated a local landmark by the Buffalo Preservation Board. 1988 FALL   1977- present Hayes Hall houses “School of Architecture and Environmental Design,” now Buffalo School of Architecture + Planning.
Hayes Hall is dedicated as a historic landmark by the Landmark Society of the Niagara Frontier. 1988 DEC 12
Clock Tower undergoes a significant restoration. 2003  
Hayes Hall restoration begins. 2011  
Hayes Hall restoration to be completed, with Buffalo School slated to move in during 2016. 2013  

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

  1. Erie County Almshouse before being remodeled into Hayes Hall
  2. Erie County Hospital, 1896
  3. UB President Samuel Capen at his desk in Hayes Hall
  4. Hayes Hall takeover, 1965
  5. Restoring the Historic Clock Tower at Hayes Hall
  6. Renovation begins with the demolition of the old gallery/classroom in the third floor of the building’s core
  7. Hayes Hall at night